Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tuesday's Email

Tuesday’s Email

To: peepmissrudyandlt@gmail.com
From: Roryt@kittymail.com
Subject: Hi there

I’m so glad I got to meet you, LT and your human the other day.  It made a rather unbearable day quite pleasant in the end.  You are so lucky to have someone who cooks catfish for you.  I’m lucky if mine gives me squishy food instead of just crunchies.  Well, I’ve finally got all the paint out of my fur.  By the time we got home, my human was so done with the whole Indian thing.  He’d gotten hassled by the Kaw and some of the Potawatomi who were there and they laughed at him painting his cat.  He didn’t even want to see me, much less follow the instructions as to how to get the paint off my fur.  I tried licking it off, but it tasted really icky.  Luckily my human’s sister took pity on me and cleaned me.  Now, I’m not a cat who likes baths, but I put up with one to get the rainbow colors out of my fur. 

I hope you’re having fun with the rest of your trip.  Drop me a line and let me know what’s up with you. 
_______________________________________________

To: peepmissrudyandlt@gmail.com
From: Peepthecat@kittymail.com
Subject: Are you guys ever coming home?

I hate to say it, but I miss you guys.  It was really nice at first not to be disturbed, but now that’s just getting old.  Fuzzy and Loaf Cat aren’t much for conversation, and the Daddy is working a lot.  I hope you have a lot of stories to tell when you get back, because the Cat Club is going to ask for detailed accounts of your trip.  Pictures would be nice, but I know it’s hard to operate a camera without thumbs. 
_______________________________________________

To: Peepthecat@kittymail.com
From: peepmissrudyandlt@gmail.com
Subject: Have we been busy!

Sorry I haven’t written for a couple of days.  We’ve been way busy, and night before last I was so tired I slept through the night, and was afraid David would wake up and find me on his iPad.  On Sunday, David had another chore day.  He did his laundry, went shopping, cleaned the RV, and LT and I just sat there and watched him as he cleaned and put stuff away.  Ha!  After that we went over to Lettie’s for dinner.  She made a pot roast and shared it with all of us cats.  It was delicious.  It’s amazing that Ginger and the grown-up kittens aren’t as round as basketballs they way she feeds them.  They’re a pretty active group, I must say.  They play a lot of chase in that household.  Ginger even joins in.  She says if she doesn’t she puts on too much weight.  She knows that Lettie would cut down on the food if they started getting chubby, so they’ve all decided to be exercise nuts.  When we came back from Lettie’s David cleaned out the rental car, and forgot to turn off the inside light when he was done.  So…dead battery on Monday.  Instead of leaving LT and I at the RV Park without anywhere cool to hang out he took us to Fort Riley with him in the RV.  That place is huge!  LT says it’s a lot bigger than Lakehurst.  We met a bunch of military cats.  Did you know the cats there, at least the outdoor ones, take their humans’ military ranks?  They say it’s the same at all the bases.  Could you imagine if we all did that?  I guess we’d all be diesel mechanics, or perhaps project managers.  Clem would be a writer kitty and Bunny’s crew would be crazy cat…cats who collected lots of dust-catchers.  Nah, doesn’t make any sense.  They do it to patrol the bases they live on, so that’s useful.  What use would it be to call myself a diesel mechanic?  It’s not like any of us has a cat truck that needs repair.  Anyway, when we got back from Fort Riley the car had been fixed.  David says that the battery must have been weak to begin with, otherwise it wouldn’t have drained overnight.  It only does that when it’s really cold out, and the temperature doesn’t get below 65 degrees here, even at night. 

I’ve been checking the aerial maps again, and think I’ve found another area in Pottawatomie that I can explore if the weather doesn’t get too hot.  The forecast is pretty reasonable for the next few days.  From the looks of it, you’re going to be a lot hotter in New Jersey than we are here.  It’s forecast to be almost 100 degrees there on Wednesday and Thursday.  Stay, cool Peep, and we’ll see you soon!
_______________________________________________

To: TheDaddy@optonline.net; TheMommy@optonline.net
From: DavidVhoop@gmail.com
Subject: Greetings from Fort Riley!

Good grief.  Stupid rental cars – the battery went dead on mine last night, and I had to take the RV into Fort Riley today.  The cats enjoyed the visit.  They met up with a bunch of cats I’d met on post and hung out.  Somehow Rudy managed to spook one of them, I think.  When I’d gone looking for them at lunchtime, the littlest one was sitting there quivering, surrounded by her military cat buddies, and Rudy was looking guilty.  How, do you say could I tell she looked guilty?  Well, she wouldn’t look me in the eyes, and her tail was lashing a mile a minute. 

Work is going well on the project.  The frame is done and inspected (who knew there were building codes for lashed sapling lodge frames?) and we’re putting together the covering.  I decided it would be quicker for me to do the cutting, grometting and hand-sewing that needed to be done rather than to use the post resource I was given.  They forgot to tell *them* they were going to do the work.  Sigh.  So, there I sit, gigantic needle in hand, stitching very large pieces of flame retardant canvas together.  I’m not sure if this is construction or home economics. 

By the way, do you want me to bring you back some fish?  The cats are enjoying it very much, and I thought you might want to share in the bounty.  You have a choice of bass or catfish so far, but I have one more weekend to fish (along with any I might do on the way home, traffic permitting). 

I’m running out of new newspapers for cat photos, so today’s is the newsletter for the Army Officer’s Wives Club.  Who knew such a thing even existed?  Take care - -

David, Rudy and LT


No comments: