Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A Cat’s Eye View of the Humane Party


Princess Clementine, Political Correspondent for Animal Rights
Wed August 21, 2019

As I was looking over the candidates for the presidency who have reported contributions I couldn’t help noticing that most of them were Democrats.  There were a few Green Party Candidates, some Libertarians, one Non-Party and a small bunch of Republicans.  I wondered why there wasn’t something like an Animal Rights Party, so I did a little research on it while the yarn lady was out of the house for the afternoon.  I found mention of a US Animal Rights party established in 2011, but it seems to have gone toes up already, as it billed itself as a virtual political party…yet its website has expired.  It’s hard to be a virtual party if you don’t have a presence in cyberspace!

Then I found the Humane Party.  Since I was adopted by the yarn lady from an animal shelter (although not the Humane Society), I figured that would be a political party that would speak for the rights of cats and dogs, as well as other animals. 

Well, they might, but if they managed to elect a president and implement the items in their platform, house pets all over the country would likely be in worse shape than they are now.  They are a vegan political party and would abolish ownership of animals, prohibit their use or slaughter for food production as well as establish a system for animal guardianship through the courts. 

Cats. Are. Carnivores.  I need my daily ration of meat, poultry or fish, or I’ll get sick.  I don’t think there is a healthy vegan diet for pets, and my household does not contain vermin sufficient to satisfy my nutritional needs!  In fact, other than the young raccoon that visited a few years ago (who I knew better than to tussle with), we’ve had a total of one sighting of a critter, a small vole.

Well, since most animals can’t directly communicate their needs (I guess they don’t have Facebook pages like I do), the Humane party proposes that after animals are emancipated, interested parties may apply to the courts to be appointed guardian for an animal or group of animals.  Which court?  Family court usually deals with guardianship issues, so probably them.  What if I need to go to Tibet and the yarn lady can’t afford to apply for guardianship, or is awaiting a court date?  I could suffer or even die!

What about spaying and neutering?  I have to admit that from what I’ve seen and read that we are at the mercy of our biology, or zoology or whatever -ology is correct.  Females go into heat, males come running, and the poor female doesn’t get much choice in the matter unless a human locks her up in a safe place.  By their logic, someone would need to apply for guardianship for stray cats in order to run a trap, neuter and release (TNR) program, or even to spay or neuter their own housecat!  I know from what the yarn lady has said that sterilization of humans under guardianship requires additional legal steps, including applying to the court for special approval.  It’s expensive enough to just get the operation, but add several layers of court costs…we’ll be overrun with stray and feral cats and dogs.  Bad idea. 


Their logo features a romping cow, presumably running free.  In the Humane Party’s future world all animals will be emancipated, including hundreds of thousands of cows, chickens and pigs who are raised for food.  I’m not sure where Bossy the Cow will run free, considering the concentration of cow feed lots in the mid-western part of the country.  Nebraska had an estimated cow population of 36,000 in 2012.  That's going to result in a lot of cow patties for people to step in.  And what about the 15 million chickens in Delaware?  I doubt the folks who ran the farms will continue to provide feed and staff to care for their newly emancipated livestock.  Every home in Delaware will be overrun by hungry chickens, providing the poor things can walk that far. 

So, whoever the Humane Party nominates for President for 2020, as an intelligent cat I cannot in good conscience vote for him, her or it.  (Who knows, maybe they’ll nominate a cow?)

No comments: